Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2019-12-10, 22:59:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Modding Tutorials section of e-mods.net.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plans for Next Release  (Read 13112 times)

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
Re: Plans for Next Release
« Reply #15 on: 2007-07-31, 22:57:07 »

I have also done considerable improvements to charwriter.

Charwriter will not only support the new multi set line, it will no longer remove your comments and bastardize your file when it edits the specified values. The old charwriter was very intrusive and would pretty much undo any hard work you put into making your char file to look pretty. Well now it'll modify IN PLACE, changing only what has to be changed while leaving everything else untouched. :D

I also finished the new loop command. I'll document it later, but I have tested it out on a few things and noticed it supported loops within with iterators and iteraters within loops. I'll have to do more testing though to make sure it's a flexible loop command.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

ORI

« Reply #16 on: 2007-08-01, 11:56:27 »

So the new syntax is pretty much the {} thing and '.' instead of '_'  and the 'Var.X' thing instead of '<X>' ?

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #17 on: 2007-08-02, 10:56:09 »

I have decided not to go with an off/on switch for debugging. Nor do I want debug messages in console anymore. All debug messages are stored in log files now. The reason is that there is just so much being tracked you wont be able to see everything in console sense console has a limited length and is very narrow. The only time something pops up in console is when a java exception error has occured and all scripts have stopped because of it, but even then the console will tell you to refer to the log files. I want console to be used ONLY for what the user uses it for along with important messages because to do otherwise would make console rather useless sense {console} command messages would constantly be marred over by ugly debug messages.

It would make even myself dizzy. The log files are just more sanitary.

As for the syntax, the concatenators are still within <>. Well, more complete documentation will be included this second time around, including what concatenation keywords are available.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

ORI

« Reply #18 on: 2007-08-02, 19:29:13 »

Its a shitty deal for people who cant Alt-Tab .. I wont be able to tell at what point did I get an error or how or if I got a error at all because I can only look at the log file after I quit the program

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #19 on: 2007-08-02, 20:46:36 »

There are two kinds of debug messages - the ones related to your code and the ones related to Wodal.

You wouldn't be able to tell at what point the problem occured IN console for problems related to Wodal.

The log files for Wodal debugging take up an average of 70-700kb depending on the size and complexity of your script. It wont fit in console. Console is limited to maybe 50 lines of text - a log file creates 1000's of lines of text showing all aspects of Wodal's file reading instructions and command events. When an error occurs in Wodal, you wont be able to solve the problem by looking at it in console anyway.

Of course errors related to your script (not wodal) will be shown, but I'm not seeing what you're getting at with the alt-tab thing. Would you not have to exit the game anyway if a script is not working?
« Last Edit: 2007-08-02, 20:51:55 by Javokis »

ORI

« Reply #20 on: 2007-08-04, 09:17:32 »

yes but that means exiting for every single action I try to see if there is error instead of just minimizing to check the log or otherwise seeing it in console

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #21 on: 2007-08-04, 23:35:17 »

That's an academic assessment there. The objective of these alpha's are to determine how much more or less work will go into development for them. If it's more work then revisions will be made, but the way I have things setup are more satisfying for me.

[edit]

This new version should be ready by Friday. I'll have a lot more content in version 0.2a. The next Wodal will contain four various oddball demo groups, more common vampire powers, and a PnP equivalent Protean discipline group. Oh and with this new release, you no longer have to name your character 'Test' anymore. Wodal v0.2a will now look for a Global file for character sheet info and AI if it can't find one matching the name of the file it normally looks for. You can now make a character normally and test Wodal's features from the get-go.

Everyone will start out with the Vampire common powers, the four demos, and pnp Protean in the Global.txt files. This should relieve ST's of having to do a lot of work by setting base rules for everyone and everything.
« Last Edit: 2007-08-05, 00:37:48 by Javokis »

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #22 on: 2007-08-05, 16:04:49 »

Ok I did quite a bit of client testing over my network and have come to realize that Wodal had some serious issues to debug. Mainly in the form of client crashing and things not looking right. Well most of that is fixed and Wodal is now stablized - should be client compatible now. I also did some adjustments to the Flight command, which should allow clients to fly around fairly well. At least it has gone from useless crap to relatively practical. Originally, clients would not be able to control their flights well - they would magically appear someplace wrong or others would not be able to see where they are after flying. This still somewhat occurs, but can at least be more managable and easily corrected.

Skyra to Hollow

« Reply #23 on: 2007-08-05, 22:47:07 »

I watched that iteration test clip and my first thought was "holy shit, Movement of the Mind is actually possible now!"  Great work, Jav.  I look forward to v0.2  8)

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #24 on: 2007-08-07, 09:50:45 »

Thanks.

I have spent a lot more time on debugging the damageoverride command than expected, but should be well worth the effort in the long run. I have allowed for the creation of global combat rules within Wodal and as a test decided to code a sample of how Wodal can override combat damage calculations by implimenting some basic PnP rules into damage as follows:

Currently, all damage is calculated by attacker's strength stat, randomized by the rolldice command. The defender soaks the damage with their stamina, but only under the correct conditions like:

-Vampires take half damage from normal then soak the remaining damage
-Vampires (not humans) soak lethal damage with stamina
-Humans take lethal damage from normal bullet projectiles
-Humans cannot soak lethal with stamina

All soak is randomized by the rolldice command based on damaged individual's stamina. To hit calculations are currently done by the normal game engine and therefor not factored into the code for stability and sanity purposes. Testing this system has proven to show that even at 7 health the game is more survivable than with 100 health. I have also done the following to combat:

-Vampires who take aggravated damage recieve an X icon for each point of aggravated recieved.

The X's are dumby effects referenced by BloodHealing to check for aggravated damage points. Bloodhealing has been scripted to do the following:

-Vampires attempting to heal 1 point of aggravated damage in combat must spend 2 willpower and 7 blood points
-Vampires attempting to heal 1 point of aggravated damage under relaxed conditions spend 1 willpower and 5 blood points
-Vampires that attempt to heal non-aggravated damage in combat situations must spend 3 blood points per health level
-Vampires that attempt to heal non-aggravated damage in relaxed conditions spends only 1 blood point per health level

Like everything else in Wodal, you can code changes easily within the various text files containing the related script. The rules stated above are not hard coded within Wodal and are IN-FACT optional and can be disabled by going into the correct files and making adjustments.

In essence, Wodal doesn't even have to be about PnP. You can do whatever with it given the knowledge and imagination. At least that is the goal.
« Last Edit: 2007-08-07, 12:52:10 by Javokis »

Azraelthe7th

• Demon Vilicus
    • Shadownessence: The World of Darkness Unfolded
« Reply #25 on: 2007-08-07, 11:48:20 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: AWESOME!  Sorry I didn't have time to actually test the 0.1 alpha, but school's almost done so I'll likely be able to play around with the new version.
Come see the World of Darkness unfold.
Dark Ages Christof Romulad: 55%

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #26 on: 2007-08-07, 12:54:43 »

You didn't miss much.  ;)

Come this Friday, things'll get interesting...

Skyra to Hollow

« Reply #27 on: 2007-08-07, 23:30:30 »

Jav, both you and ORI made Hamachi networks for the Wodal. Are they both still actively used for testing, or do you prefer to use one over the other?  Also, give us a heads up so we know when (what time) on Friday you plan to do a public test/demo.

ORI

« Reply #28 on: 2007-08-08, 06:42:46 »

Mine is left unused.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #29 on: 2007-08-09, 21:57:36 »

Ok things are going well, but I did a bit more debugging than I expected. I'm currently trying to finish up the Common vampire powers as well as Protean - though I feel I may need to do a little rushing on it to make a Friday deadline. Everything else has been working quite well sense I started adding more content to the mod and tested that content on the network.

Common will have the following:

Bloodhealing - reworked for PnP rules.
Feed - a little treaky, but too late in the development to fix in 0.2a. Maybe fix it in 0.3a?
Diablerie - pain in my ass, but I got 'er working quite well though not fully PnP due to engine limitations, it should be good enough.
Ghoulism - working on it, but should allow for blood to be given to a human to make them an allied ghoul.
Embrace - plans to allow you to kill the subject first with feed then give your blood to their dead (or near dead) body to turn them.

Protean will have the following (hopefully):

Eyes of the Beast - toggle it off and on at no cost to create illumination. Currently has no pnp social factors.
Feral Claws - normal game effect at 1 bp
Earth Meld - I plan to take the E-Mod1.8 entombment effect for this one.
Shape of the Beast - normal game effect at 1bp
Mist Form - normal but with 1bp

Like I said - I need to rush them. I only finished the Eyes of the Beast discipline due to taking time to debug various random issues. Also note that pnp combat rules are enabled, but are limited to damage rules only and only some of the damage rules - not all. I haven't even factored in Potence and Fortitude yet - and wont at this rate.

After this 0.2a launch, I'll be concentrating on making Wodal work with Single Player to assure stability and perhaps give me an excuse to integrate a new AI system that can understand the new discipline rules. This should be fun in that I am quite curious what bugs I'll find in Single Player after I make proper character sheets for the SP casts.

NOTE: Because of Global, the game will lag for a short time when large levels filled with 20+ npcs(enemies) are loaded for the first time. Wodal does some major calculations through Global file reading on EVERYTHING though much of those calculations were cut down to assure that the lagging loadup isn't too long or inconvenient.

This means that I tested Wodal on both Leaves of Three and To Curse the Darkness chronicles. So far the tests have shown stability other than the added lag caused by first time Wodal level load up.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 25 queries.