Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2019-12-14, 19:57:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Modding Tutorials section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: [NEWS] PS3 Euro Launch Date  (Read 1773 times)

Old Fecker

• Lord of Awesome
    • The Gaming Hive
[NEWS] PS3 Euro Launch Date
« on: 2007-01-25, 03:29:03 »

Sony's PlayStation 3 finally has a release date for Europe and PAL territories. Originally meant to have a worldwide launch in November 2006, the PS3 saw its European launch delayed because of production issues with blue-laser diodes. Now, according to Sony, the PS3 will debut in Europe and Australasia on March 23.

The other PS3 detail up in the air was the console's final price in some of the regions. Sony is forgoing the dual-SKU approach it took in the US and Japan and only releasing the 60GB model - initially. As previously revealed at E3 2006, the console will retail for 599 euros (approximately $777) in Europe, but it will fetch 425 ($836) in the UK, AUD999.95 ($781) in Australia, and NZ1199.95 ($840) in New Zealand. To compare, the same model of the console retails for $599 in the US.

The 20GB model will be available later according to Sony, but hasn't yet been priced. "Responding to retail and consumer demand, SCEE confirmed that initially only the 60GB model would be available, with the 20GB model to follow later in the year dependent on demand."

There will be 28 retail games available for the console's "launch period," as well as eight games for download on the PlayStation Network. Among the games are familiar titles from other regional launches (Resistance: Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Call of Duty 3) as well as anticipated games yet to be released in the US (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Virtua Fighter 5, Def Jam: Icon). This doesn't necessarily mean that all games will be available on March 23 - Sony does not define how long its "launch period" lasts. A full list of the launch lineup is below.

This announcement comes after uncertainty and speculation that the March date would be pushed back again, fueled by Sony CEO Howard Stringer himself, who told CNET that the "European launch in April...is very important to us." Both Sony Europe and America later issued statements reaffirming that the March date was still on, and that Stringer had simply made a mistake when he mentioned the April date. However, towards the end of January, there were still no firm date or pricing details.

PlayStation launch lineup for Europe and Australasia
Resistance: Fall of Man
MotorStorm
Ridge Racer 7
Genji: Days of the Blade
Formula One Championship Edition
Call of Duty 3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Gundam - Target in Sight
Full Auto 2: Battle Lines
Sonic the Hedgehog
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3
World Snooker Championship 2007
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Enchanted Arms
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Def Jam: Icon
Fight Night Round 3
NBA Street 4 Homecourt 2007
Need for Speed Carbon
The Godfather: The Don's Edition
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
F.E.A.R.

For starters i cant believe the mark up in price that is going to happen. In the UK alone the machine has been marked up by $237!!! The Premium Xbox360 with free extra wireless pad and 2 games retails for 280-300! 425 for a machine with no games or decent cables and with no games that look or play any better than its main rival...i cant believe it. Plus theyre only offering the more expensive machine!?! Takes the piss if you ask me.

The thing that makes me laugh though is the way Sony seem to be 'bigging up' games that have already been released for quite some time now on other platforms:
anticipated games yet to be released in the US (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Well that was released in the UK on PC and 360 on the 24th March 2006!

Add to that, 16 of the 28 launch games are coming out on its main rivals platform or are already out and perform better on the 360 (Call of Duty 3 being a fine example of having better framerates on 360 than the PS3).

Im no Sony-basher, ive owned the PS1 & 2 and currently own a PSP. Theyre all great machines, i just dont like Sony's "make the public pay for substandard equipment, but at least it has the Playstation name on it - so that makes it fantastic" philosphy.

Sony recently came out and announced that they had "shipped 1 million consoles to North America", thing is that's shipped, not sold. The actual amount that has been sold is unclear...i cant find a single figure on the net about it. there's loads of rumours but no actual figure. On the other hand, the 360 has sold 10.4million consoles worldwide - and this is from the console manufacturer that is widely recognised as being in 3rd place behind Sony and Nintendo, the Wii has sold 3.19million worldwide and has caused Sony to offer a price cut in Japan because the system isnt selling over there.

Well, regardless of price, games, whatever...the PS3 will sell shed loads because of 'brand loyalty' (i thought that died out at the end of the 16BIT era?) and i dare say that it'll have some decent games (the machine isnt bad after all, just the marketing). But my money is on the 360 being more popular - at least in the PAL regions - which is a good thing if gamers dont want one company dominating the market. Console wars will go on and on and on for ever. Besides, i love my 360 and i love all the exclusive titles coming out!  ;D

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 25 queries.