Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2020-01-21, 22:42:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Modding Tutorials section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Graphics card help  (Read 2666 times)

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
Graphics card help
« on: 2011-03-29, 11:58:53 »

I just got an Acer Aspire 5742G. It has an onboard Intel(R) HD graphics card and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M. The Intel is the default card, but you are supposed to be able to set the NVIDIA to run as you want. I can not get VTM: Redemption to run using the NVIDIA; it only recognizes the Intel (which sucks). I have tried the settings in the NVIDIA control panel. I have disabled the Intel hoping that it would have to use the NVIDIA. I have looked in the bios hoping to set prioroty, but nothing seems to work. How can I get the game to use the NVIDIA? Any advice would be appreciated.

wesclash

Re: Graphics card help
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-30, 05:44:58 »

I don't have one of these, so I'm just throwing out ideas, here...

Have you created an Optimus application profile for VtM:R?  In case you haven't here's a link talking about it:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19356705.aspx

The laptop is obviously supposed to work well for gaming, so it's seems likely to me that the problem is VtM:R's detection of your hardware.  The Optimus drivers are the likely culprit.  I run VtM:R on a linux machine occasionally, through WINE, and with WINE operating as the middle-man VtM:R doesn't detect my hardware correctly, either.  I was able to get it to function by fiddling with the linux graphics cfg., but it's not exactly optimal (no pun intended).

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-30, 07:43:44 »

Yes, I have tried setting the preferences through the program and global settings. It doesn't seem to recognize the NVIDIA with any programs using the program preferences. If I force my preferences in the global setting some programs will use the NVIDIA, but not VTM: Redemption.

Signothorn

• Team
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-30, 07:49:39 »

You've probably already tried this but have you tried deleting the masquerade.ini file? It should force the game to detect your video card again.

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-31, 09:17:58 »

NVIDIA is fielding all sorts of nasty complaints from users who have this graphics card. It turns out they released the hardware without the proper software. If fact to date they still do not have the proper drivers to run the card. After much co-miserating with others and complaining/threatening NVIDIA, I found a beta version driver. It worked and I can now force my games to use the good card rather than the on board Intel junk.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 39 queries.