Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-11-19, 16:29:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: How to Create a Nob File  (Read 7037 times)

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
How to Create a Nob File
« on: 2009-02-10, 19:55:22 »

This tutorial will teach you how to create a nob file using 7-Zip. You can download 7-Zip here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/

BE SURE TO USE VERSION 4.65 OR BELOW. Newer versions do not format the .nob properly and will not work.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that all of you modified files you intend to nob together is in a project folder or some place where you can easily identify what is your creation and what is not. They must retain their proper folder structure inside your project folder. So if you made a weapon like from the How to Make a Sword in Redemption tutorial then place that myproj.NOT into the misc/templates folder within your project folder. Now follow these steps:

-Right-click the misc folder and a pop-up menu will appear.
-If you installed 7-Zip then 7-Zip should be on the list, within 7-Zip choose the Add to archive option.

-In the Add to Archive screen choose Zip from the Archive Format
-From the Compression level choose Store.
-Where the .zip file name is located change the name to MyProject.nob
(whatever name you choose be sure it ends with .nob)
-Click OK

-A .nob should be created

You can now distribute this .nob publicly, just be sure to put it into a .zip file with a readme containing instructions on how to install along with what the end-user is installing. Pretty much all you have to do is place the .nob file into your main Vampire the Masquerade - Redemption directory and your sword will be added on the list... or whatever else you created, but here is a bit of info to remember about nobs.

You can only place the following folders into a .nob file:

-3d
-chronicles
-conversations
-levels
-materials
-misc
-paths
-quests
-scenes
-sounds*
-stores
-strings
-ui

*You can only place the sounds folder in a nob file if it contains actors, environment, objects, gameplay, and voice sub-directories. Music, StereoAmbient, and Dialog are not usually read in .nob files.

Sub-directories included in the above folders must have proper names to read the files within them.
Please check out this topic:

http://e-mods.net/forum/index.php?topic=424.0.html

For more information on file types and where they must go.

Additional Note: you cannot place a Codex directory into a nob file, but you can place individual .class files into a Codex.nob file, but you must make sure that the Codex.nob file is inside a mod folder and not placed inside the main VTMR directory where it could overwrite the original Codex.nob. Codex.nob files located in mod directories are usually the brains behind the mod's functionality. Without it, the mods usually don't function.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-15, 12:21:55 by Javokis »
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Signothorn

• Team
Re: How to Create a Nob File
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-02, 21:14:43 »

After 3 hours trying to figure out why my .nob files weren't working, I determined winrar is a better option.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-09, 12:38:08 »

I think 7-zip changed some of their encryption methods, but as long as zipcrypto is still available in the newer versions, it should still work. So be sure to check encryption method as that might have changed in the newer versions.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-30, 01:39:49 »

[update]

Don't use the newest and "greatest" 7zip if you want to make nob files. I used version 4.65 when I made the above tutorial. You can get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/

So yeah, siggy, they must have completely rewrote the encryption to break nob file creation. Not sure why. Stick with 4.65. No real reason to use any newer anyway. I still highly recommend 7-zip because winrar is not free.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-30, 01:51:57 by Javokis »

EtaYorius

• Jewish Gothic Chef
  • Team
  • EtaYorius Mystic
    • CLICK HERE TO VISIT MYSPACE SITE.
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-31, 11:34:05 »

I like WinRar quite a lot... besides everybody knows how to get stuff from free, this is the internet! it was meant to be NEUTRAL and for SHARING.
Victims... arent we all?

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 17 queries.