Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-09-20, 21:55:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: .wav files  (Read 2465 times)

The Upstart

.wav files
« on: 2010-03-19, 23:50:13 »

I'm finishing up the Santa Monica  Bloodlines main maps and I want to add custom sounds for atmosphere but some reason none of the .wav files I use in sound or sound box are functioning in game. I'm thinking I may have to use an old program to convert them from win 98 days.   I recall Javokis mentioning something about code and removing it via hex editor. Any help or further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
Re: .wav files
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-20, 00:43:59 »

Usually, Audacity works okay for wav files. Sometimes I get a hit or miss from Audacity so I too get a little confused. I would not under any condition play the file in Windows Movie Maker. You might be able to use Audacity rather than a hex editor to fix the problem. Try loading the wav file into Audacity and save it as .wav again.

Then knock on wood...
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

The Upstart

« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-20, 01:00:47 »

;D yes! You, sir, are a God!  Now I have figure out how to control the speed and frequency of the loop but this is a HUGE boon for me. Thanks, mon ami

The Upstart

« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-20, 02:56:51 »

I was reading that there were ways to create random sounds I think it was in the Crimson Keep post (yeah I'm searching all over the place) How does one do that. I know ghost template was mentioned but alas I have no idea what that is. What I'm looking to do is create a variety of random sounds such as car alarms, dog barks, etc.

Barnabas

« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-20, 03:53:22 »

Try to create some soundboxes. You can create different soundboxes with different sounds in one place, so you can have different soundeffects in one area. Alternatively you can use progams like MP3 - Cutter. With that you can create one .mp3 file with soundeffects from many .mp3 files.
What I need to know, is if Im able to create triggers or buttons that play a sound effect, when its used....
Sorry for my bad english ...

The Upstart

« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-20, 04:15:56 »

Ah.. merci, but, sound boxes affect entire sectors if I'm not mistaken. I was more looking for a sound to play randomly. For example, sometimes when you pass through an alley you hear a bottle roll sometimes.. you don't. And I'm sure you can have click-able sound effects now whether this requires scripting or there is an override for it remains to be seen. Sound effects are so important and yet so overlooked.

Barnabas

« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-20, 07:00:13 »

Soundboxes do not cover a hole sector. You can place them like sectors, so if you build a soundbox covering your ally, youll hear the sound only in the ally.
Sorry for my bad english ...

wesclash

« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-20, 08:17:04 »

There are also sound points that play when a character is within range, and get louder as you get closer to them.  The tutorial on creating them is on page two in the Mapping in Embrace section of the forum.

http://e-mods.net/forum/index.php?topic=491.0.html
« Last Edit: 2014-02-15, 12:02:18 by Javokis »

The Upstart

« Reply #8 on: 2010-03-20, 11:13:58 »

Ahh... I did not know  that sound boxes could do that. That's awesome. Double thanks. And  thanks for the tutorial link as well. That's where  I began but thanks none the less. I must say this is one of the more helpful forums I run across on a game.

The Upstart

« Reply #9 on: 2010-03-20, 13:07:01 »

OK, I THINK I figured out how to get the process going somewhat for random sounds.

1. I created a ghost template (located under Global->Miscellaneous)
2. I added StringerSound via Overrides
3. I opened the Codex Linker (Shift + C)
4.  I added the sound I wanted to happen randomly in the Sound Name box and adjusted various other parameters.
5. Booyashaka! Random Sounds in game.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.