Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-11-20, 03:32:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Rigging, Weighting in 3d Models?  (Read 2048 times)

EtaYorius

• Jewish Gothic Chef
  • Team
  • EtaYorius Mystic
    • CLICK HERE TO VISIT MYSPACE SITE.
Rigging, Weighting in 3d Models?
« on: 2009-04-23, 16:40:03 »

I never modded anything else appart from Redemption, so what exactly means Rigging and Weighting? or how do you do it? i been reading this all over the HL2/L4D forums but dont really understand what is is or how to do it, anyone knows?
Victims... arent we all?

ORI

Re: Rigging, Weighting in 3d Models?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-04-25, 08:43:29 »

Rigging = the act of creating a skeleton (series of joints) and binding the character to the skeleton. this may also include using IK, Expressions and Constraints to make your skeleton easier to work with.

Weighting = Basicly Deciding how each bone/joint effect the vertex of the target model, its very similar to the process of assaining Vertecies to Bones in Milkshit except you also assain Weight to each vertex with a value between 0 and 1.. that value determine the amount of  effect each bone has on the movement of said vertex.

This allow for a vertex to be effected by the movment of two or more bones..for example:

A Vertex is bound to Bone30 by a value of 0.7(70%) weight and also to Bone41 by a value of 0.3(30%) weight( making it a total of 1(100%) so when I move Bone30 the said vertex will move by 70% of that Bone movement and 30% of Bone41 so the totall movement destribute between the two bones which allows the skin(the model) to deform and stretch like a real skin.

I hope I explained this abstract concept well enough. if not im sure Azraelthe7th or Xaltar know this stuff as well.
Also note that Milkshape3d is probably the worse software to work with on weights and rigs and you are better off using Maya or 3Dsmax or even Blender..
There are several ways to assain weights , I usually prefer to work with the Artisan Brush tool in maya to paint weights on the model..

If you dont want to mess with weights too much you can build you model from seperate parts instead of a seamless skin and bind each part to the correct bone, as long as its not a naked figure it can look well enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-HIcecZUQ4
The Wasp I modelled and rigged in this short animation clip works using this method since a real life insect's skin doesnt really move(its like armor plate) it works well.
Note: the movie still needs editing for timing which I will do tomorrow, this is only the very rough cut.
« Last Edit: 2009-04-25, 08:55:28 by ORI »

EtaYorius

• Jewish Gothic Chef
  • Team
  • EtaYorius Mystic
« Reply #2 on: 2009-04-25, 15:26:51 »

Excelent! i was just wondering what the hell does people was discusing over at those Forums, thank you for explaining Ori.
Victims... arent we all?

ORI

« Reply #3 on: 2009-04-26, 23:41:41 »

Most welcome, I still hope you will finish that huge skinpack you posted about a while ago

EtaYorius

• Jewish Gothic Chef
  • Team
  • EtaYorius Mystic
« Reply #4 on: 2009-04-27, 15:27:00 »

Im about to, maybe i will release it in the next days, i still have to finish the L4D models and a couple of custom models.
Victims... arent we all?

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.