Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-11-20, 03:28:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Milkeshape export file  (Read 4500 times)

Trogers2

• "Help the helpless, it just might make you a better person"
    • Kindred-knights
Milkeshape export file
« on: 2008-09-27, 17:54:47 »

Yeah it doesn't export it as a .nod file, so what do  i do with it?

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
Re: Milkeshape export file
« Reply #1 on: 2008-09-27, 18:33:36 »

Yes it does. I use MilkShape to create all my characters. When you export you must choose to export as a Vampire: the Masquerade NOD... It works best to save it over an already existing .nod. When you do this be sure that the .nod you save over is compatible. It must have the save number of bones, be the same size and have the same stance to animate properly in the game.
« Last Edit: 2008-09-27, 18:35:26 by CL0wN »

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #2 on: 2008-09-28, 03:44:31 »

... It works best to save it over an already existing .nod. When you do this be sure that the .nod you save over is compatible. It must have the save number of bones, be the same size and have the same stance to animate properly in the game.

Is compatible? This is proving to be more difficult then i thought  :o I was planning on porting the final fantasy X models onto vampire, porting isn't one of my strong points....any advice? Also what do you mean by

"It must have the save number of bones, be the same size and have the same stance"

If i port these models, how would this rule apply?

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #3 on: 2008-09-28, 10:31:30 »

From what I understand of modeling for Redemption is that when you are "porting" models you have to first import a "skeleton" used by the game that you want for your model, which will determine how that model's animations work in-game. So just do the following:

-Extract christof.nob from the Resource.nob file using winzip into the 3d/Models subdirectory of you project folder.
-Right-click the file, go to properties then remove read-only from the file.
-Change the file's name into the name of the model you want to create.
-Import the .nob into MilkShape then delete all of its meshes, but make sure the skeleton is intact.
-Merge the meshes from the desired model you wish to "port" into the modified model you have currently loaded.

If you are making a female model then grab lily.nob or serena.nob. In any case, grab a model that already exists in Redemption that has a lot in common with the model you want to port over.

This is where the hard part begins where you have to assign meshes to parts of the skeleton's various bones. I can't tell you much on how to do this properly since my only modeling experiences come from building basic single-bone objects (Swords and Props).  MilkShape makes this process quite tedious. You'll have to use a lot of trial and error in this one.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
« Reply #4 on: 2008-09-28, 18:22:42 »

Javokis is spot on. You have to assign the vertexes to the proper bones. To get an idea of how to do this, take a look at the Bloodlines port tutorial on my web site. It doesn't matter where you acquired the model you want to port over, the process of mapping the bones will be the same as described in the tutorial.

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #5 on: 2008-09-30, 13:20:30 »

Javokis is spot on. You have to assign the vertexes to the proper bones. To get an idea of how to do this, take a look at the Bloodlines port tutorial on my web site. It doesn't matter where you acquired the model you want to port over, the process of mapping the bones will be the same as described in the tutorial.

Thanks Cl0wn, I have a good idea on how to make this final fantasy pack now thanks.

One more problem though, i have ripped all the 3D models from CD but they are in  .FFB format, do you know how i can convert them to a format Mileshape can open? I have been looking for the right software but just can't seem to find it...Apart from that i should be able to start making this fianl fantasy Mega pack..if i can find a way around this issue.

« Last Edit: 2008-09-30, 13:22:47 by Trogers2 »

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
« Reply #6 on: 2008-10-01, 06:38:14 »

I'm a bit confused now. You said that you couldn't get MilkShape to, "Export". I assumed that you could already import the file otherwise how could you reasonable say that MilkShape would not export?

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #7 on: 2008-10-01, 08:46:05 »

. You said that you couldn't get MilkShape to, "Export"

Oh yeah i fixed that proble, it turned out i was exporting the wrong file format, like unreal or something lol, i don't know how i managed that..
My only prolem now is, how do i open these ffb files in milkeshape? I've been looking for some kind of tool to do so, but no luck so far...

Also i opend a file in milkeshape (unreal model, i think) and then importend a vtmr model (Christof) and found out the unreal model was well over 400times bigger! is that an issue?

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #8 on: 2008-10-02, 01:32:49 »

Sorry for all the hassel guys, i'm new to this skining thing and even newer at porting :-\

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
« Reply #9 on: 2008-10-02, 07:21:39 »

Heh heh, yes that would be an issue. Again I refer you to my BloodLines port tutorial. Use the redemption models as templates. The models you are porting must be the same sixe and the joints should be in the same position so that knees and elbows bent properly. The head and mouth should be in the same place so speaking and head movements look correct. Hands and feet should be in the same place so that items can be held right and running and walking looks correct. Redemptions animations were created for very low polygon models so often it takes some adjustments for more detailed models to move correctly in-game.

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #10 on: 2008-10-02, 08:55:01 »

Again I refer you to my BloodLines port tutorial. The models you are porting must be the same sixe.

OK, i've checked out your bloodlines port turtorial, it helped a lot  :D

Though i still don't know how to "strink" this model, not that i mind ^_^ Having a giant in RP would be fun  ;D
Though to avoid any issues here, i think it would be better to strink this model somehow..Is this possible?
I tried scaling but i am uselss with that tool, anyother advice would be a great help.

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #11 on: 2008-10-02, 09:00:41 »

« Last Edit: 2008-10-02, 09:04:49 by Trogers2 »

Trogers2

• Kindred-knights
« Reply #12 on: 2008-10-02, 09:07:05 »

As you can see, the skeleton is like microcopic!
Also this model only has one group, this group highlights everything...so i don't know if this will cause problems down the line with "joining up the bones"

« Last Edit: 2008-10-03, 09:07:51 by Trogers2 »

CL0wN

• CL0wN.com
« Reply #13 on: 2008-10-03, 09:38:25 »

There is no way around it; you are going to have to use the scaling tool to shrink the model. It must match the proportions of the skeleton. I always use the face select by vertex tool to highlight areas and break them up into smaller groups. I have found that groups with a large vertex count cause lag and sometimes crash the game.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.