Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-09-21, 08:54:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Azraelthe7th  (Read 2664 times)

Azraelthe7th

• Demon Vilicus
    • Shadownessence: The World of Darkness Unfolded
Azraelthe7th
« on: 2007-09-22, 15:15:50 »

I don't know where to start really.

I got the game way back in 2000 and immediately fell in love with it.  The storyline, the overall designs, and that it was essentially a gateway for me into the World of Darkness made it a classic for me.  Everytime I formatted my PC, I'd install it, even if I didn't play it again.  I wanted to help in some way for the WoD Mod project, but I didn't know what I could have offered.  My 3D skills were inexistent, I didn't know what files to change, let alone change them if I found them, and I didn't have any programming skills.

I feel it sucks that it took me nearly 7 years before I was able to do anything, and I'm hoping that I will be able to give something back to this community after all it gave in order to extend this game's enjoyment.  I'm currently doing this via a high-res re-model of Christof Romuald.  I'm thinking that maybe if enough people work together, we could probably do a single player mod for Half-Life which would re-create Redemption using the Source Engine.

What I have in mind is that this mod would require a full install of Redemption alongside Half-Life, and would use the sound files from Redeption in accord with the Source engine in order to give it a fresh look and feel.  The action could be set in a 3rd person view with controls somewhat similar to those of Bloodlines.  It's a young idea, but it could be cool overall.
Come see the World of Darkness unfold.
Dark Ages Christof Romulad: 55%

Bloodywolf

• Malkavian
  • Team
  • 7th Gen
Re: Azraelthe7th
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-22, 15:40:35 »

longer then me here then ^^

And about Half life mod

you'd have to OWN half life 2 AND VTM:R for it to work, since else you'll get copyright problems I think. But its entirely possible if you get modelers. I'd like to help, but I'm not really the creative guy when it comes to modeling, drawing, ect.
William - Bloodywolf - Me
Sloth, Greed, Gluttony, Wrath, Envy, Pride and Lust.
Which one shalt thou pick today?

Old Fecker

• Lord of Awesome
    • The Gaming Hive
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-25, 08:07:14 »

Nah, copyright issues shouldnt be a problem due to the fact that no money would exchange hands for the mod. Depends how anal Activision would be if they found out about it, but a big ass disclaimer stating that all the Redemption stuff thats used belongs to Activision should be enough.

Azraelthe7th

• Demon Vilicus
« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-25, 13:37:46 »

I think you're both right on certain accounts.  If we only use one part of the game (the dialogue) we could probably get away with it with little or no issues.

Zurechial

« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-25, 13:44:56 »

Nah, copyright issues shouldnt be a problem due to the fact that no money would exchange hands for the mod. Depends how anal Activision would be if they found out about it, but a big ass disclaimer stating that all the Redemption stuff thats used belongs to Activision should be enough.

Generally speaking, that's not the case with cross-game conversions.

Publishers DO tend to be horribly anal and over-protective of their intellectual properties in this regard, especially the big-name money-grabbers like Activision.

Bear in mind that Activision were tight-fisted fucks enough to not even give the Redemption community the source code long after the game stopped being proftable.
I'm sure they had other reasons too, but it's a good example of how Activision behaves..

Another good example of publishers being over-protective is with Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2.

The 2 games were developed by 2 different companies, but published by one company - LucasArts.
LucasArts forbid anyone to even discuss on the forums the means to transfer game content from KotOR 1 to KotOR 2 and vice-versa.

Anal? These guys would keep Freud entertained for years.

Old Fecker

• Lord of Awesome
    • The Gaming Hive
« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-30, 03:51:59 »

Mate, Star Wars is a HOOGE, continuously profitable licence - hence the reason why theyre so protective of it. Something like Redemption that had/has its niche market isnt. The only way to find out is to do it really and probably only use the voice files for the mod. The models and textures would have to be heavily modified if not redone from scratch anyway to look any good in the source engine.

Azraelthe7th

• Demon Vilicus
« Reply #6 on: 2007-09-30, 13:38:52 »

Re-doing the models wouldn't be that much of a problem overall.  Once the main characters are done, all secondary/enemies can be completed quickly without using as many polygons.  Plus, the Source Engine's use of bump mapping would allow more details to be added without a hefty polygon count.

I think if we pull the right people into this type of project, we could do it without too many delays.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.