Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-11-24, 06:50:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Sky Textures  (Read 2552 times)

Nagaraja

Sky Textures
« on: 2007-07-24, 08:21:43 »

Question

How do I create the fog-sky effect found in the London maps?

Answer

Here is a list of sky textures I know..I don't know if it is all of them or not.

PragueCastleNight.nod
pragueDaySky.nod
pragueEastNight.nod
Prague2Night.nod
Prague2NightVysehrad.nod
PragueWestDay.nod
PragueWestNight.nod
judithBridgeDay.nod
judithBridgeNight.nod
LondonNightSky.nod
londontower.nod
newyorkdocks.nod
newyorkuptown.nod
sky.nod (default)
ViennaDay1.nod
ViennaNight1.nod
ViennaSky.nod

Of course...the .nad sky is exactly the same as the .nod

-dyllantina

For those who do not know how to use this list...

Open the scene editor (Shift + S). Make sure that you have _STATIC SCENE_ selected, then go to the "Sky" tab and enter the names of the .nod and .nad files from above. Then, create a brush for your sky, select it and open the surface inspector (s) and set the "sky" flag for the brush. Viola - you have a sky :)

--Bug2U

For the fog you can set this as well in the scene editor. It's under the render tab. Londons outdoor maps use the following settings.

Z-Fog : Linear (Constant increase in fog level over the z axis)
Color : 25,25,25 (Dark Grey)
Distance 1: 50 (Start fog 50 units from the camera)
Distance 2: 2000 (Fog is at full grey 2000 units from the camera)
ZClip : 2100 (Don't draw any brushes or templates that are 2100 units away from the camera)

-- TGrimm

Also the London outdoor maps do not use a sky in their scenes, but in their chronicle flags set to clear buffer bit (0x0040) to remove the HOM effect. Which means if you try do to something similar you will see the HOM while testing from embrace but when run from within your chronicle you will only see the fog.

-- TGrimm

Barnabas

Re: Sky Textures
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-04, 17:24:47 »

I have another problem with the skys. When I use the skys for MD ( New York for example ), I always have glitches at the lower part of the sky. Do there any skys for MD exist, that have a nice Skyline but no glitches at the lower part? Is there a way to create own skys? If yes, how?  ??? ??? ???
Sorry for my bad english ...

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-04, 18:07:48 »

Best thing to do is to re-skin an existing sky that isn't glitching. Milkshape 3d has trouble with skies so trying to use it make new ones doesn't seem possible. I was looking into Freyja, but it seems that the author no longer does anything with it in relation to VTMR modeling.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Barnabas

« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-04, 18:11:36 »

Does there a tutorial exist, how to re-skin skys?  ;)

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-06, 12:35:46 »

I did do some experimenting on building new skies from scratch. Unfortunately, you have considerable limitations on sizing - a sky is simply an extremely large model. I tried to build a sky in Blender 3d, but the scaling was reset when I export/import to Milkshape 3d. I also imported sky.nod into Milkshape. You can't do any mesh manipulations, but you can change materials and delete mesh groups.

I already have tutorials on Milkshape 3d. You can actually take the Prop tutorial - invert the faces (in Milkshape 3d - select the whole sphere, goto Face menu, and choose Face to Front), resize the sphere to as large as you can make it, and that prop can be used as a sky. Simple as that.  
« Last Edit: 2010-03-06, 13:00:59 by Javokis »
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Barnabas

« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-07, 11:52:20 »

Hmmm - I think this is much above my skills. Tried to work with Milkshape a few times, but it never really work....

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-07, 14:29:20 »

There's some additional skies included with Maps of the Ages if you care to browse around to find them. They would be in the MoTA_Resources.nob file under 3d/models. Otherwise, you're SoL till you can figure out Milkshape.

I'm not the only place that has tuts on Milkshape. Google.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.