Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-09-20, 21:59:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Decals  (Read 2535 times)

Nagaraja

Decals
« on: 2007-07-23, 14:26:29 »

Question

What exactly is the advantage of assigning a surface the "Decal" property? As far as I can tell, it doesn't give the brush any sort of "priority in terms of visibility (i.e. you still have to carve a spot for your poster/detail/whatever out of the wall). Am I missing something here?

Answer

Yep, you don't have to "carve" anything for a decal brush. According to the Embrace docs, setting a surface as a decal means that brush "will be left out of the BSP/CSG process which will cause it not to cut up the geometry around it, it also stops the brush from blocking light or blocking the camera" In other words, When adding a decal brush it is not necessary to have the the decal brush outside of the brush being decaled it can be level with the surface you are putting the decal on. In other words, a decal brush can be inside the brush it is texturing, level with the displayed surface. It will not add to the BSP process, but the texture will display over the texture behind it.

So, decals have many advantages, the biggest one being that it is the best way to display certain textures (e.g., the graffitti) without adding extra brushes to the bsp process and still properly displaying their transparency.

Hope that answers your question :)

-- Bug2U

Barnabas

Re: Decals
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-30, 09:21:17 »

Hmm - Im sure, I made a bad setting again, but after looking for the mistake for a few days without success, Id like to ask you: Since a few days Ive problems with decals. I create a brush ( for Example a bloodspatter ), flag it as decal ( with flags at "decal, vertex lit, no lightblock, no CSG and sometimes I tried detail ). Then I place the brush on another brush, but ingame the decal brush does not spawn, or makes glitches - the decals I made before work well....

After checking the export log, I saw the following:

Why got detail brushs disabled?
« Last Edit: 2010-03-30, 10:02:59 by Barnabas »
Sorry for my bad english ...

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-30, 13:31:13 »

Why are you not showing your whole export window?
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Barnabas

« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-30, 13:50:20 »

Oh - sorry....

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-30, 14:55:05 »

So you do have Use Details checked. At a loss for words...

What about in-game graphic settings? You have decals enabled? Sometimes Embrace will reset graphic settings so might want to double check.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Barnabas

« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-30, 15:59:58 »

Hmm, I always play VtM:R with highest graphic settings. I do not see an option, where I can enable or disable decals...

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-01, 01:07:53 »

You may just want to set Grid to 1 then move the decal brush out 1 unit. Sometimes decals simply don't work as advertised.

Mort

• Team
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-22, 14:21:17 »

I wanted to revisit this thread because I also spent hours trying to figure out this same problem and finally came up with a solution.  Setting the flags to "decal" along with "NoCSG"  in the surface inspector will make them work.
"Ordog, when I said "Give me some gold," I meant to do some cool moves; not drop a bag of gold.."

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.