Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-11-17, 14:56:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Help with changing durations  (Read 1720 times)

Farquaad

Help with changing durations
« on: 2014-01-24, 10:19:10 »

Hi ! You can call me Farquaad ! I am new to this forum. I am a modder of Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption, but I didnt know that a modding community, or , at least , forums that were related to Redemption, truly existed. As I said, I know modding, but there are some things I can't understand (since I am dedicated to class files, rather all that nihilistics files) such  as how to change the duration of disciplines. This can be done , partly with some disciplines , by editing that .NED file. But my problem is elsewhere. For example, I want to modify the duration of Atrophy.  No clue which file(s) set(s) the duration of effects. I have searched EVERYWHERE !!! At  class files there is some lines that say : NAMEOFDISCIPLINE_DURATION. I dont know with which file is this linked, I think it is related with the game.ndd file and the rN line format. But I am not sure. Can someone shed some light on this occasion, please, I am about to finish my mod, and the only thing that stands in my ways, is the changing of discipline duration! I simply cant let Bonecraft OR THE DARK TOUCH WITH THE DURATION OF ATROPHY !

Thank you very much

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
Re: Help with changing durations
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-25, 01:33:10 »

The discipline effects and their duration are applied through java. An ideal way to mod in java is to download the Nod SDK, Eclipse IDE, and follow along with the Eclipse video tutorial in the Open Nod Development section. The "Big o' Modding" video tutorial covers a lot of content around building a new discipline and working with java scripted effects.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Farquaad

« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-25, 02:24:33 »

I know, I know . I personally use three programms for editing class files. IDE Eclipse, jd-gui (for viewing only) and dirtyJOE Java's overall editor (in case I want to mod an already existing discipline, for example change its effect, and I am too bored to recreate it in Eclipse, since when I try to open a class from the game, Eclipse doesnt open it and crashes and I must recreate the class only and only to change its fizzle) But I am not geting the point on how the whole thing with durations of disciplines works, that's the question. I don't know if Big ' 0 ' Modding tutorial helped me much, since I already know how to create new disciplines and playing with nihilistics files, and the API etc, pretty much I know everything that your Big ' 0 ' Modding tutorial teaches. Still no clue for durations, I also checked the video about creating new disciplines. Any more help , please , I truly need how to know.
Also, may I ask your opinion. Which of this names could be better for a mod. Well you may not know what my mod will be about, but just tell which name you find better : Jyhad Mod or  White Wolf Mod ?

Thank you

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-25, 11:18:07 »

Check out the Discipline.java source script. The duration for each discipline is stored as an array of variables in there. Each discipline extends the Discipline class and uses the duration arrays. Example:

protected static final int[] AWE_DURATIONS = {5000, 10000,  15000,  20000, 25000};

The above line is within Discipline class. It is used in the DisciplineAwe script during it's effect activation here:

targetThing.AddActorEffectByLevel("ef_disc_awe", AWE_DURATIONS[level], level, casterGuid, EI_FLAG_DISCIPLINE);

The array variable contained in Discipline class is indexed by level of the discipline.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Farquaad

« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-25, 13:07:53 »

Thank you ! I never edited that file because I didnt know what these {5000, 10000,  15000,  20000, 25000} numbers was about. At first I thought it was float data, I dont know... But thank you again very much. Also I watched the videos with the tutorials, and I saw how you get the mods to work, but I do it with another way. I dont create nob files, I just put all of the class in a folder named codex in the main directory of the game, and with all the other files, I just plain exctract them to the main directory and then edit them, whitout erasing everything inside and then writing new things. For example I extract the game.ndd. It is extracted in a misc file in the main directory, but I dont put it in a folder with the "Resource" name, like what I did with the class files, just plain extract. The I open it and add whatever I want, without erasing or overwrittng what's already existing inside. just adding and completing. And the mod works perfect. No nob files needed !
« Last Edit: 2014-01-25, 14:14:28 by Farquaad »

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-25, 15:46:29 »

Thank you ! I never edited that file because I didnt know what these {5000, 10000,  15000,  20000, 25000} numbers was about. At first I thought it was float data, I dont know... But thank you again very much. Also I watched the videos with the tutorials, and I saw how you get the mods to work, but I do it with another way. I dont create nob files, I just put all of the class in a folder named codex in the main directory of the game, and with all the other files, I just plain exctract them to the main directory and then edit them, whitout erasing everything inside and then writing new things. For example I extract the game.ndd. It is extracted in a misc file in the main directory, but I dont put it in a folder with the "Resource" name, like what I did with the class files, just plain extract. The I open it and add whatever I want, without erasing or overwrittng what's already existing inside. just adding and completing. And the mod works perfect. No nob files needed !

The problem with doing mods like that is that it wont often play nice with other mods. Especially if you are changing things like discipline duration. Putting scripts into VTMR's core Codex changes the game at the core. If someone wants to use a different mod, they would have uninstall your mod, but would also need to know what files your mod included. If you intend to distribute your content publicly, it is highly recommended to follow the "user folder" configuration that the tutorial teaches you.

Farquaad

« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-26, 04:33:07 »

Yeah, I know, but its the only method for me to get the mod working, since I cant create any .nob file , because the only programme I got  to open compressed files is that windows programme called "Compressed (zipped) files " which cant create .nob files, like WinRar or 7-zip can. The only way for me to create a .nob file, is to make a copy of an already existing .nob one, erase its contents, rename it, change its extension to zip and compress the files I want inside and then rechange its extension back to nob. I MUST USE AN ALREADY EXISTING NOB FILE and change its extension to zip and the back to nob. If I dont do it this way and just compress the files in a zip and then change its extension to nob, that nob file wont have the compressed files to 0% compress rate, and this might cause problem to the game (sometimes it crashes, other times it cant read the compressed files etc) I dont want to waste time by copying nobs, change their extensions twice, copressing, decompressing, renaming, deleting etc, so I just follow the method I told you. But when its time to publish my mod, I will, of course , use nob files , but when I am developing the mod in my computer , why going through all that mess ?

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.