Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-09-20, 22:05:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Possible to log the chat log?  (Read 1303 times)

Monk Ed

Possible to log the chat log?
« on: 2013-03-22, 00:03:06 »

Hi. I joined this forum to make this topic, having spent the day toying around modding my favorite mod from the old days, WoDMod, which in just one day I have dramatically made more to my liking and more (IMO) P&P-friendly, as well as fixing one or two bugs that I had forgotten bugged me so much back in the day and originally wasn't even looking to fix (like the one where Lupus form's speed doesn't get set correctly when you shapeshift to it from any form but Hispo).

My gaming buds and I left Redemption years ago in favor of mIRC and then OpenRPG (and now Traipse OpenRPG) for various reasons, and one of them, or rather, one reason that is a barrier to returning to it, is that sessions had are lost forever once over. We had many good times and have many good memories, but memories fade with time, whereas with these past 8+ years with chat-based role-playing we can look back on the sessions we had exactly as they were (and sometimes be quite surprised!).

I want the same for Redemption. Redemption is more than just what goes on in the chat log, of course, but it's the bulk of where the action took place in my P&P-oriented group (we rolled dice manually in the chat instead of using WoDMod's semi-hidden die-rolling, for example), and having it would provide an excellent record that we can look back on for years to come... or even just to remind ourselves next session of what we were doing!

I read in another topic (the one asking if it's possible to open the console from a script) that someone named Mordred created something that externally intercepted network traffic and was therefore able to save the chat logs. Where can I find out more about this, or find the program itself? What is it even called? I'm a programmer myself so if possible I'd also be interested in learning how to make one for myself that can also format it with HTML and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paine

Re: Possible to log the chat log?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-05, 11:13:00 »

Hi. I joined this forum to make this topic, having spent the day toying around modding my favorite mod from the old days, WoDMod, which in just one day I have dramatically made more to my liking and more (IMO) P&P-friendly, as well as fixing one or two bugs that I had forgotten bugged me so much back in the day and originally wasn't even looking to fix (like the one where Lupus form's speed doesn't get set correctly when you shapeshift to it from any form but Hispo).

My gaming buds and I left Redemption years ago in favor of mIRC and then OpenRPG (and now Traipse OpenRPG) for various reasons, and one of them, or rather, one reason that is a barrier to returning to it, is that sessions had are lost forever once over. We had many good times and have many good memories, but memories fade with time, whereas with these past 8+ years with chat-based role-playing we can look back on the sessions we had exactly as they were (and sometimes be quite surprised!).

I want the same for Redemption. Redemption is more than just what goes on in the chat log, of course, but it's the bulk of where the action took place in my P&P-oriented group (we rolled dice manually in the chat instead of using WoDMod's semi-hidden die-rolling, for example), and having it would provide an excellent record that we can look back on for years to come... or even just to remind ourselves next session of what we were doing!

I read in another topic (the one asking if it's possible to open the console from a script) that someone named Mordred created something that externally intercepted network traffic and was therefore able to save the chat logs. Where can I find out more about this, or find the program itself? What is it even called? I'm a programmer myself so if possible I'd also be interested in learning how to make one for myself that can also format it with HTML and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this was never released as only Mordred used it. I don't think he plays or visits the forums anymore so it's unlikely you'd be able to ask him how it worked.
It should be fairly simple to re-create though if you have time to analyze the network data used by Redemption.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.