Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2017-11-17, 15:04:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Open Nod Development section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 2873 times)

GreenDragon

Some questions
« on: 2012-05-11, 04:52:00 »

Is it possible to move/remove a brush that has been "CSG subtracted" without messing up the map?

What is the preferred way to do archways? I have looked at the official maps, where they seem to use a number of wedges.

I think I need someone explain how to do roofs properly. Not the ones shown in the video tutorial, but more regular ones. I cannot seem to get the angle right on the brushes that should lie on the "triangular" brush.

Mort

• Team
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-11, 14:27:36 »

Is it possible to move/remove a brush that has been "CSG subtracted" without messing up the map?

The CSG tool can be a pain sometimes if it is overused.  9 times out of 10 if you are using an angled/cut brush, it will chop up your surrounding brush structure.The best advice I can give on that is to not use it unless you have to.  And no, you cant fix that unless you quickly undo what you deleted.  Also I highly recommend hidding your sectors.  If you don't, you can easily CSG your sector by accident and screw everything up.

What is the preferred way to do archways? I have looked at the official maps, where they seem to use a number of wedges.

Personally, I use a circular brush and CSG half of it with a normal brush to make my archways.  After the duo-brush is created, i just CSG it into the wall.  I'm sure everyone has their own specific way in doing it.  This is just how I work I guess.

I think I need someone explain how to do roofs properly. Not the ones shown in the video tutorial, but more regular ones. I cannot seem to get the angle right on the brushes that should lie on the "triangular" brush.

For roofs, I take an angled triangled brush, created by your personal preference, then make a copy of it, lower it to your desired height, CSG it into the original, and finally drag it back some so the original overlaps it on top.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-11, 14:35:48 by mgust35 »
"Ordog, when I said "Give me some gold," I meant to do some cool moves; not drop a bag of gold.."

GreenDragon

« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-13, 06:35:50 »

Sounds good. I will try it.

Is there a recommended limit of faces on cylinders/spheres? In regarding to not making the complexity of the level too high.

Do steps of stairs have to be a specific height/width to be able to walk on them correctly? I have made one, but I sink down to my ankles when I climb it.

In the last screenshot above, have you CSG substraced the street into the ground, or is it a brush on its own?

Thanks, and have a good day.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-13, 06:41:39 by GreenDragon »

Mort

• Team
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-13, 11:06:41 »

Is there a recommended limit of faces on cylinders/spheres? In regarding to not making the complexity of the level too high.
The most I have gone is 18.  It all depends on how far you want to take it.  Just dont make it too crazy of a number. lol

Do steps of stairs have to be a specific height/width to be able to walk on them correctly? I have made one, but I sink down to my ankles when I climb it.
On the Grid8 scale (default) I think the max is 3-4 units high.  My stairs I usually make 2 unites high and 3-4 unites in width, depending on the type of stairs.

In the last screenshot above, have you CSG substraced the street into the ground, or is it a brush on its own?
It is it's own brush.  The side lines and the middle divider line in the street are just decals
« Last Edit: 2012-05-13, 11:09:08 by mgust35 »
"Ordog, when I said "Give me some gold," I meant to do some cool moves; not drop a bag of gold.."

GreenDragon

« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-14, 04:21:13 »

Ok. What are decals? I've seen it mentioned in a lot of games, but I've never understood what it was.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-14, 04:26:07 by GreenDragon »

Mort

• Team
« Last Edit: 2014-02-15, 11:46:47 by Javokis »

GreenDragon

« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-04, 09:25:48 »

Seems like decals are easier to use for doors, windows, etc?

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-04, 12:07:17 »

You can't set the surface overrides on template objects so unless that door is just a brush (not an interactive object), then decal settings wont work.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 17 queries.